McDowell Vision Screening Kit
|33500||McDowell Vision Screening Kit***DISCONTINUED||$0.00|
|33500R||McDowell Vision Screening Kit Rec Forms, Pk/100***DISCONTINU||$0.00|
Permits early detection of vision problems, as verbal skills are not required.
Marlene McDowell, PN, BSN, M.A. and Richard L. McDowell, Ed.D.
- Age Range: 2 years, 9 months-5½ years
- Time: 10-20 minutes
The McDowell Vision Screening Kit assesses the functional vision of very young and/or severely disabled children, who may be too inattentive, difficult, or impaired to evaluate with conventional screeners. It permits early detection and treatment of vision problems- before they cause permanent damage or developmental delays.
The Vision Screening Kit identifies children with the three most common, and correctable, vision problems: refractive errors, ocular alignment dysfunction and amblyopia. Virtually all children, regardless of development level, can complete the assessments. Scoring is based on pass/fail criteria, and referral recommendations are provided.
Convenient, quick and economical, the Vision Screening Kit provides a behavioral assessment of visual performance in five areas:
- Distance Visual Acuity — Observation of visual fixation, and tracking of colored balls
- Near-Point Visual Acuity — Observation of visual fixation and visual response to black dots on white cards
- Ocular Alignment and Motility — "Cover-Uncover Test" in conjunction with pupilary light reflex test
- Color Perception — Matching Blocks in primary colors
- Ocular Function — Observation of scanning ability, shift of attention, visual tracking ocular convergence, conjugate gaze, visual fields and blink reflex
Studies based on children from varied cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, with IQs ranging from mentally retarded to gifted, demonstrate that the Vision Screening Kit is valid, accurate and reliable. Test-retest reliability coefficients range from .89 to 1.00. Correlations between Vision Screening Kit scores, and the results of standard vision screening procedures, range from .90 to 1.00, and were later confirmed by licensed eye-care specialists.
The McDowell Vision Screening Kit includes all necessary toys and objects,100 Record Forms and the Manual.